What Injuries Are Caused by Truck Accidents?
Posted on behalf of Edwards Law Firm on Jul 18, 2017 in Truck Accidents
A collision between a passenger vehicle and a large commercial truck can result in horrific injuries that may be permanent or fatal.
In 2014, truck accidents involving passenger vehicles resulted in 111,000 injuries and 3,903 deaths, representing a 17 percent increase from the previous year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The dedicated Tulsa truck accident attorneys of the Edwards Law Firm want you to be aware of the common injuries that can result from a truck collision. If you were injured in a truck accident, contact us to find out how much your claim may be worth.
The impact caused by a truck accident can result in significant damage to the muscles, soft tissue and bones located in your back. These types of injuries can include:
- Herniated Discs: This is a common back injury that occurs in the spine when one of the discs positioned between the vertebrae is forced out of position and presses or pinches a nerve.
- Paralysis: Truck accident victims are often diagnosed with paralysis, which is the loss of ability to move or feel certain parts of their body after the collision. Paralysis can either take place in all of your arms and legs, referred to as quadriplegia, or only in your legs and lower body, known as paraplegia.
- Spinal Cord Injury: A spinal cord injury will impair your strength, ability to move your limbs and other parts of your body, and will likely affect your senses as well.
- Compression Fracture: The blunt trauma inflicted upon the spinal cord in a truck accident can also cause its fragile bones to weaken or break, which is referred to as a compression fracture.
- Strains and Sprains: Your body’s erratic and rapid movement during a truck accident might put stress on your muscles and ligaments. This may result in painful ligament strains and muscle sprains.
These injuries often cause a victim to suffer chronic pain and may require extensive treatment and rehabilitation.
Whiplash is a painful neck injury that occurs when your neck is thrust forward rapidly and comes to an abrupt stop. This erratic movement can cause significant damage to the soft tissue in your neck and may cause mild or severe symptoms, such as:
- Neck pain
- Limited range in neck movement
- Stiffness and pain in your shoulders
Head injuries are caused by a strong and sudden impact that either pierces or strikes the skull and damages the brain. Victims who suffer a brain injury often find it difficult to focus or recall memories and may display erratic or unusual emotional and psychological behavior.
Some of the most common head injuries truck accident victims are diagnosed with include:
Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
A TBI is a devastating injury that occurs when the brain in significantly damaged by an intense blow or impact to the head. The symptoms of a TBI can be severe and may result in permanent cognitive impairment, extreme changes in behavior and personality or death.
A concussion is a type of mild TBI that may lead to temporary cognitive impairment, such as loss of consciousness, nausea, memory loss or confusion.
Wrist injuries are common in truck accidents and often occur as a victim grabs hold of an object, such as a steering wheel or dashboard, to brace for impact. Your wrists can also be injured by loose objects in the vehicle, colliding with a window or being struck by an airbag.
The bones, joints, ligaments, tendons and muscle located in your wrist are fragile. When these body parts are damaged, it may result in injuries such as:
- Ligament tears
- Crush injuries
- Dislocated joints
- Inflamed tendons
During a truck accident, your body may be crushed after being pinned between two objects. A crush injury can cause serious health issues, such as:
- Nerve compression
- Internal organ damage
- Acute compartment syndrome
The severe blunt trauma of a truck accident can cause your bones to easily break. Bones that are commonly fractured in truck accidents include:
If your organs are damaged during a truck accident, they may begin to bleed internally and cause significant damage to the surrounding area. Organs that are often damage during a truck accident include:
Burn injuries are always a possibility when dealing with a vehicle collision. However, commercial trucks carry large amounts of fuel, and if one’s tank ruptures, it may cause a fire that can result in severe burns, permanent scarring or death.
Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer in Tulsa
Truck accidents often result in devastating injuries that may entitle victims and their loved ones to compensation for the pain and suffering and financial loss they have experienced.
Do not hesitate to contact us after a truck accident to schedule a free, no obligation consultation and legal review your claim. Our team of experienced Tulsa personal injury lawyers will help you determine if your claim entitles legal action at no cost. You only have to pay us if we recover damages for your claim.
Call 1-800-304-9246 if you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident.