Offices in Oklahoma, Texas
and Arkansas

Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect FAQ

Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect FAQ

There is nothing quite as devastating as visiting your loved one in a nursing home and recognizing they have been abused or neglected. Unfortunately, 88 percent of nursing homes in the United States have inadequate staffing to provide the acceptable level of care needed by each resident, so this situation is more common than one may expect.

At The Edwards Law Firm, our nursing home abuse lawyers are prepared to put an end to nursing home abuse and neglect, and are prepared to represent you and your loved one. As a way to help nursing home victims begin exploring their legal options, our team has assembled a list of frequently asked questions.

To learn more, contact us at 1-800-304-9246 or complete the Free Case Evaluation to the right.

If your loved one has been injured in a nursing home, it is imperative to contact an experienced lawyer prior to discussing the situation with another individual, especially in the case where the individual is affiliated with the facility where the person was injured. The sole objective of a nursing home risk manager or representative is to save the nursing home money by quickly settling the claim out of the courtroom. In addition, you do have the right to consult a lawyer and have one present in any meetings with nursing home representatives.

Nursing home abuse victims are entitled to an attorney in order to file a civil lawsuit for compensation regarding violations of the nursing home resident's rights. Furthermore, nursing home neglect or abuse can lead to a thorough investigation and fining by an adult protective services agency, while a civil cause for an action or lawsuit can lead to the recovery of damages on behalf of the victims and a criminal prosecution intended to punish those for their intentional or malicious conduct.

There is no exact time a nursing home injury claim will take to settle, as each case will have different complexities. Each case will include bills, medical records, and proving the staff or facility is responsible for the injuries.

Yes. Nursing home residents that have suffered from a personal injury caused by the negligence or misconduct of the nursing home facility can sue, no matter if they have a contract with the nursing home.

It depends on whether or not the violators pose an immediate threat to the safety of residents. If a nursing home is found to violate regulations, however the residents have not been affected, the nursing home will have the opportunity to create a Plan of Correction in order to enforce such changes. If a resident's safety is threatened, the facility may be fined by the regulators, and new supervisors will be appointed, and the nursing home license may be suspended.

If you suspect your loved one has been abused or neglected in a nursing home, it is imperative to confront the situation immediately. With the assistance of a nursing home abuse attorney, you may begin to pursue legal recourse for injuries caused to your loved one. An experienced nursing home abuse lawyer will help explore your legal options and put an end to abuse.

Nursing homes are regulated by both state and federal authorities. On the state level, each state typically has a department of health responsible for regulating nursing homes, while The United States Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services regulates services on the federal level.

Contact Our Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys Today

At The Edwards Law Firm, our we have represented dozens of nursing home abuse clients and have great sympathy for all victims of nursing home abuse neglect and abuse. Our attorneys will treat every type of nursing facility abuse case as though a loved one of our own has been abused or neglected and will seek the maximum compensation available.

With offices in Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas, our law firm provide legal counsel to victims in these areas including:

If you or someone you love is suffering from nursing home neglect or abuse, contact our law firm at 1-800-304-9246 or complete the Free Case Evaluation form here or at the top of this page. It is completely FREE to submit and all of your information will remain strictly confidential.

Back to Top