Offices in Oklahoma, Texas
and Arkansas

Interstate vs. Intrastate Truck Accident Liability

If you have been injured in an Oklahoma truck accident the type of commercial truck that hit you may affect your ability to recover damages. There are a different set of laws and regulations for interstate and intrastate commercial trucks.

If you or a family member was injured in a truck accident, whether it was traveling intrastate or interstate, you may be eligible for financial and legal recourse. Contact The Edwards Law Firm today to explore your legal options.

For additional information about truck accident liability, complete the Free Case Review form on this page.

Interstate Trucks

Interstate traffic refers to commercial vehicles that travel between states. Some commercial vehicles that often do interstate traveling:

  • UPS trucks
  • FedEx trucks
  • Department store trucks
  • Logging trucks
  • Charter buses (ex. Greyhound buses)

All commercial trucks that are involved in interstate commerce are regulated by The Department of Transportation and follow the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.

If you were injured in a truck wreck due to the negligent actions of another, you may be able to seek legal action.

For additional information about the legal rights available to truck accident victims, fill out the contact form on this page.

Intrastate Trucks

Intrastate traffic is when vehicles work and transport cargo within one state. Listed below are some common intrastate vehicles:

  • School buses
  • Fire trucks
  • Gas trucks
  • Garbage trucks
  • Transit buses
  • Dump trucks
  • Water trucks

Trucks that travel intrastate are not regulated by the Department of Transportation; these vehicles must follow the states laws. For example, if you are injured in a bus accident, your ability to recover losses will be determined by Oklahoma's laws.

Oklahoma, like several other states has adopted many of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations for intrastate trucking, however there are some exceptions:

  • Drivers of intrastate commerce are required to be at least 18 years old, interstate truckers on the other hand must be 21.
  • In Oklahoma, truckers are allowed to drive 12 hours in a day if the commercial truck is engaged solely in intrastate commerce and is not hauling hazardous materials required to be marked or placarded.

Filing a lawsuit against an intrastate trucking company can be difficult without the assistance of an attorney who is well-versed in commercial vehicle litigation.

If you have any questions about truck accident liability, contact The Edwards Law Firm.

Contact a Tulsa Truck Accident Attorney

If you or a loved one has sustained an injury in a truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Accident victims may be entitled to compensation for past and future medical expenses, lost wages, property damage and emotional trauma. Regardless of whether you were injured by an intrastate or interstate vehicle, you should seek legal counsel.

At The Edwards Law Firm, our attorneys and staff have the knowledge and resources to handle all types of truck accidents. We have helped numerous clients receive maximum compensation for their legal claims.

Our law firm is available to provide legal services to injured individuals in Tulsa, McAlester and the surrounding communities.

To speak with a member of our legal team about your accident, simply fill out the contact form on this page.

Back to Top