When people are involved in car accidents, there are often many steps to follow in order to receive compensation for losses and damages. However, insurance agencies may not always provide sufficient funds for all losses and damages, which may lead an individual to seek legal counsel. There are several reasons why a person should seek the help of a dedicated car accident attorney in Tulsa following an accident, and our legal team at The Edwards Law Firm have gathered these reasons.
The following include ten reasons why a person should seek legal counsel in an auto accident case:
- Statute of Limitations Statute of limitations are the time a person has to file a personal injury claim. In order to file a claim, a person must file within one to two years of the accident, of course these statutes of limitations may vary from state to state. If you fail to file a claim before this time, you may forfeit your ability to file a claim.
- Following the Rules There are certain rules that should be followed after an accident. This may include filing a police report, or a notice within a certain amount of time. Each state may have different rules regarding filing for an accident, while an attorney will be familiar with these laws and can help you through this process without jeopardizing your right to sue the driver responsible for your losses and damages.
- Insurance Issues Following an accident, insurance agencies will protect the insured and compensate them for losses and damages. Of course, these insurance agencies will also aim to keep their costs down to reduce their overhead. Hiring a lawyer can help to protect you against these issues, and protect your best interests.
- Understanding Damages Many people may not be aware of the potential damages which may be available to them. These damages reach far beyond medical expenses, and may assist you to recover lost income, mental anguish, and any additional expenses which arose following the accident.
- Proving Liability Having a police report and witness, it may be difficult to prove the accident was caused by the negligent actions of another driver. Hiring an attorney can assist in collecting an array of evidence against the negligent driver in order to support your case and prove negligence.
- State Laws Laws typically vary from state to state, which can make it very difficult to prove your case, not to mention sue another individual for causing injuries. An experience attorney will be able to recognize these loopholes and explain how these accidents were caused by the negligent actions of the other driver.
- Understanding Settlements Typically, auto accident cases settle outside of the court room when the defendant and their insurance company make you an offer. Of course, accepting this offer means that you will lose your ability to sue for these losses and damages ever again. Your attorney will be able to assist in determining if settling at this point is the best option for you.
- Understanding the Rules There are several complex rules that must be followed in order to file your case. These rules must be followed closely to even have an opportunity to present your case. An attorney is needed to guide victims through this complex process.
- Proving your Case Proving your case can be extremely complex, not to mention the great amount of information that must be provided along with the questions and phrasing of questions used in accident injury cases. An experienced attorney will be able to do the research needed to convince a judge or jury to side with you, which may be extremely difficult on your own.
- Financial Losses Without an attorney, you may risk great financial losses by attempting to handle your own case. If you attempt to sue for the wrong damages, or attempt to sue the wrong defendants, you may be barred from suing ever again. This means that you will lose your opportunity to recover for your losses and damages caused by the injury causing individual.